Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Tigers acquire Fielder: Good move?

I'm a huge Detroit Tigers fan.  I hadn't heard much about any huge deals involving the Tigers so I was completely surprised when I heard that Prince Fielder had signed a 9 year $214 million contract.

I was listening to the radio this morning and one person on there was saying that this was a bad deal for Detroit.    His reasons were Fielder's weight, the amount and length of the contract, and that the Tigers already have an all-star calibre first baseman.

I completely disagree.  Prince Fielder has been a proven run producer and leader and he's been virtually injury free throughout his career.  He's one of the top 5 hitters in baseball.  Last year he had more RBIs and less strikeouts than Curtis Granderson, Adrian Gonzolez, Ryan Howard, Mark Teixeira, Jose Bautista, and Joel Votto.

When you have a chance to get a guy that good at 27 years old, you take it.  Especially when you know he'll be playing for you for the next 9 year, the prime of his career.

No comments:

Post a Comment